Friday 13 January 2012

Tips for students from a recent student...

Well, it has been a long time since my last post. I guess I was caught up in all the festivities and Christmas buzz, while I also lost a profoundly kind lady.

The world lost one of their angels this Christmas. She was very sick for a long time but I guess I always had a glimmer of hope that she would win the nasty fight against cancer. When you are a part of their everyday life, you just don't imagine them not being there (you might think about it, but there is no way to prepare for it). When that day comes, let me tell you, it is no easier knowing that they were sick. Especially when they were one of the greatest and most inspiring women I have had the pleasure of knowing. She made me feel like the daughter she never had and I will always remember and love her.

2011 was a wonderful year for me (besides that last news). I completed the final year of my public relations degree and made some lifelong friends along the way. The Bachelor of Public Relations degree at Uni SA has given me a vast array of opportunities and I would like to thank the tutors, Course Coordinators/Directors and students for making my time there so enjoyable. Before beginning this degree I dabbled in a bit of psychology, philosophy even German before I honed in on what I really wanted to do. Once I found this degree, I knew it was the one for me. In my opinion the success of the program is due to classes with familiar students and tutors and a wonderful (and beautiful) Magill campus.

My advice to future students of the degree?
  1. Make yourself known to the teachers. I promise you, you will learn so much more when you engage with the students and teachers. Be an enthused student, not just one in the crowd who scrapes by. P's may get degrees but you won't be as motivated about your career in PR if you study by this motto.
  2. Join groups and network yourself. A great example of this is PRIA (Public Relations Institute of Australia) and Intercomm. The PRIA hold events for Industry people that can help you make contacts and even aid in employment opportunities. You never know! Intercomm is the South Australian branch of the PRIA for students, young practitioners and new people to the industry. I realise some of you may think it is just another 'thing' to do but just try it and you hopefully will catch the bug that will help you strive in your degree. The PRIA's website is a great place to start as well as Intercomm and Uni SA's PR Studies Facebook pages. (See below for links).
  3. Volunteer for work experience. Getting experience under your belt is one of the most rewarding experiences I have had. It means you can make mistakes and learn in an understanding but real environment. What could better prepare you for working life?
  4. Participate in social media. One tip I learnt from a networking event was to "be all over the social media spectrum". This means all of it, Facebook, Twitter, Blogging etc...this employer said that they check to see if you are in that realm because it means you are up with the trends and understand the growing and very important social media.
  5. Finally...read all that you can. Follow people you can learn from on Twitter and keep up to date with news and current affairs. Look in all newspapers not just local ones.
If you are already studying, look at implementing some of these things. It doesn't matter if you are a second year or whatever, just give it a go and see where it takes you.
    These tips are what I believe helped me thoroughly enjoy my degree and ultimately succeed in finding a job in the industry. I can't wait to start working and learn more and hopefully one day be a leader in the industry worthy of being followed.

    Sites to browse (from above):

    (These opinions are entirely of my own).

    No comments:

    Post a Comment